Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Rant Obese people and addicts could lose benefits

In the news today. The details aren't important.

The point I wanted to make is, I'm sure that this is at least the third time that there has been a media onslaught against tax avoidance and big businesses not playing nice....and then after a couple of weeks there is an announcement of a new benefits crackdown - be it jobseekers, bedroom tax, etc etc. So the limelight goes away from the rich, with no action taken; and there is yet another proposed crackdown on regular people.

Is this the nastiest and cruellest government ever? What makes me laugh is that they're still in with a chance of getting another five years.......god only knows who is voting for them.

4 Thanks given to flumperino

Bald Bouncer (14th February 2015),  elephantsoup (16th February 2015),  GTI (14th February 2015),  plug1 (14th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Obese people and addicts could lose benefits

Another one I have noticed crop up and am surprised it has not been picked up on is the sudden blaming of old people for the NHS problems with bed blocking and strain on A&E, again this to me seems ridiculous and a deflective measure seeing as the average life span has not suddenly increased and from my experience and I am sure most peoples you have to virtually drag old people kicking and screaming to A&E presumably because they are from a harder generation and 'don't want to make a fuss' plus they are often scared if they go into hospital they won't come out again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

its not just obese, its drug and alcohol abusers as well, it seems the payment for one of these 3 can be an extra £100.

they are saying you need to accept the help they will provide to stay eligible.

obese due to a medical problem, fair enough.

piss head or druggie getting £100 extra, that smarts a little.

get help, try to get better or fuck off, its these people who give give benefits a bad name and spoil it for the genuine, and
    its often the genuine who get shafted and the spongers who get away with it.

as ever though, they will make a pigs ear of it and chastise the innocent.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My mate who's alcoholic says he gets £88 a week, (i may be a few quid out but it's around that much) on top of his other benefits for having a drink addiction, no offers of help to get him of the booze, he spends the extra money in the local Wetherspoons.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wakadoo View Post
    its not just obese, its drug and alcohol abusers as well, it seems the payment for one of these 3 can be an extra £100.

they are saying you need to accept the help they will provide to stay eligible.

obese due to a medical problem, fair enough.

piss head or druggie getting £100 extra, that smarts a little.

get help, try to get better or fuck off, its these people who give give benefits a bad name and spoil it for the genuine, and
    its often the genuine who get shafted and the spongers who get away with it.

as ever though, they will make a pigs ear of it and chastise the innocent.
    I think the point is don't look at us look at them again with the targets being the poor and vulnerable easy targets without a voice, not a new trick but a good one as every time it works with people unable or unwilling to see the bigger picture, it's not that the issues they pick on are not a problem but to put it as an analogy it's like saying to a shopkeeper quick look them children are stealing the penny chews while you empty the till and steal his car.

5 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

DavidF (15th February 2015),  elephantsoup (16th February 2015),  GTI (14th February 2015),  Northernbloke (14th February 2015),  Rhinoz (14th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

the hope that someone will ever look at the bigger picture is almost a fairy tale in the making.

I know easy prey detracts from the bigger issues but this one falls close to home, had a piss head
    neighbour a few years ago who got a lot of extra payments for his "illness".

the lazy cnut would sit on the garden every evening surrounded with cans and snigger as I left for the
    nightshift, he upset everyone who came around and openly bragged of the cash.

I shouldn't (and will not) tar everyone with the same brush but I would love to see the idiots like him
    get what they deserve.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wakadoo View Post
    the hope that someone will ever look at the bigger picture is almost a fairy tale in the making.

I know easy prey detracts from the bigger issues but this one falls close to home, had a piss head
    neighbour a few years ago who got a lot of extra payments for his "illness".

the lazy cnut would sit on the garden every evening surrounded with cans and snigger as I left for the
    nightshift, he upset everyone who came around and openly bragged of the cash.

I shouldn't (and will not) tar everyone with the same brush but I would love to see the idiots like him
    get what they deserve.

As I said I ''it's not that the issues they pick on are not a problem'' but look at the timing do you really think they have or are going to have a solution for this and a new system to weed out the scammers and abusers of the system from the genuine claimants in need of help and support and set up a whole system of new treatment centers, addiction clinics, drugs programs and employ thousands of people to deal with this or just go for the cheaper option and keep paying the benefit.

This is just a distractive issue that people go yeah that's great I'm going to vote for them, don't you think it's strange they have waited 4 years to come up with something they can only do should they be elected again and at a time the fingers have started to point back at them and bankers from the immigrants and unemployed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ilscuro View Post
    My mate who's alcoholic says he gets £88 a week, (i may be a few quid out but it's around that much) on top of his other benefits for having a drink addiction, no offers of help to get him of the booze, he spends the extra money in the local Wetherspoons.
    Is this even true, my uncle was an alcoholic, he died around 6 years ago, so we're going back around 10 years, he used to get around an extra 20 quid monthly on top

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by PlauGE View Post
    Is this even true, my uncle was an alcoholic, he died around 6 years ago, so we're going back around 10 years, he used to get around an extra 20 quid monthly on top
    He's an alcoholic so fuck knows if it's true or not, what he would gain from lying to me maybe you can tell me, though he spends every day of the week in the pub, or at home getting pissed on Carslberg special brew so he's getting money from somewhere.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Generally I follow the sentiment in the thread. However there is probably only one quote from the Conservatives that I love - working should mean you are better off than claiming benefits.

I live I a shared house. I work long hours trying to establish my business but don't make a fortune so I have accepted I live in a tiny room comparable to a Guantanamo cell (actually they must have serious luxury as they haven't got the amount of shit I have in my room)

Anyway, one of the other tenants fell off the wagon big style last year which took its toll on everyone living here. Now he is on the mend and I honestly wish him the best.

However I find its a pisstake that the government happily pay for him to get a room twice the size mine with its own kitchen.

A couple of times I've jokingly thought to myself instead of trying to expand my business I may as well just go on the piss to improve my standard of living.

I think its quite fair to say perverse incentives such as these should not exist.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 14th February 2015 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks to Over Carl

Zoots (14th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you take the benefits away from addicts, they stop doing drugs and drinking. Simples. It's not like they will start stealing or performing other illegal behaviours if they don't have the money. But... I guess you don't see many drug addicts down the streets that MPs live, so they won't have to deal with the fallout.

4 Thanks given to Geko

Bald Bouncer (14th February 2015),  DavidF (15th February 2015),  Over Carl (14th February 2015),  plug1 (15th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If being a piss head and collecting more money off the state is so good, why arnt you all doing it?

Fon

Thanks to Fon

GTI (14th February 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    If being a piss head and collecting more money off the state is so good, why arnt you all doing it?

Fon
    Am seriously conssidering it . . . that along with money I make on the side fxing pc's etc seems a no brainer

Does seem easier than working probably 50 hours a week - sure the money wont be as good but I would get more free time without all the hassle.

Thanks to prezzy

Over Carl (14th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    Is this the nastiest and cruellest government ever?
    No, the cruellest and nastiest were the Thatcher Mob.
    In any case the tactics of these cunts is always the same, divide and conquer, a strategy as old as civilisation itself. By getting the working classes to squabble, hate and envy the most petty of privileges they can introduce yet more draconian measures whilst giving themselves and their friends full liberties.

Please lets not play along, if someone is morbidly obese, an alco, a drug addict or whatever they should be helped because that isn't a place anybody wants to be in.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

6 Thanks given to GTI

Bald Bouncer (14th February 2015),  DavidF (15th February 2015),  Over Carl (14th February 2015),  piggzy (14th February 2015),  plug1 (15th February 2015),  prezzy (14th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with most of what you are saying, but I would say change is needed.

When we next have a thread on how those in power abuse their positions I will happily contribute to that.

However this is the thread about obese people and addicts losing benefits. If these people are really disabled by their affliications, then they should be being treated in hospital. If not, then they should be on normal JSA rules as everyone else, and they should not be given a premium as a reward for their self inflicted failure.

Thanks to Over Carl

Zoots (14th February 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post

A couple of times I've jokingly thought to myself instead of trying to expand my business I may as well just go on the piss to improve my standard of living.

I think its quite fair to say perverse incentives such as these should not exist.
    True, but they only exist (realistically) to those who can see an existence in that.

Myself, I come home from work (late e v e r y fucking night, guaranteed) and see my kids still in their uniform when I really think they should have changed hours ago, having their tea at the kitchen table, homework done etc and if they eat it all up without twatting each other they might get half an hour on their iPad watching Frozen before they go to bed. In the morning they'll be up early to have a good breakfast before going to before school club playing Dominoes or whatever while me and the mrs are at work.
    This is what I see as 'normal' life. I'd rather have this than have everything handed to me and my family on a plate and worry to shit that my kids would see that as acceptable.
    I'm not sure a life on the dole is an incentive, unless you WANT a life on the dole.

Thanks to Zoots

Over Carl (14th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

While that is very true, not everyone shares our ethics.

The perverse incentives need to be stopped for those who do not. If the system wasn't wrong, post 13 would be impossible.

Thanks to Over Carl

Zoots (15th February 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Agreed - I do think propaganda is at play a lot though.
    I know more like me, than I do t'other lot. If you see what I mean?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I believe it's quite well established that people tend to hang around people with similar interests and mentaliities.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Another one I have noticed crop up and am surprised it has not been picked up on is the sudden blaming of old people for the NHS problems with bed blocking and strain on A&E, again this to me seems ridiculous and a deflective measure seeing as the average life span has not suddenly increased and from my experience and I am sure most peoples you have to virtually drag old people kicking and screaming to A&E presumably because they are from a harder generation and 'don't want to make a fuss' plus they are often scared if they go into hospital they won't come out again.
    100% agree . I could go on .. but can't be arsed typing .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast