Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Microsoft Surface

Looking to get a new tablet.

I already have ipads, and a google nexus so thinking to give a windows tablet a go. I briefly had a Nokia Lumia windows phone, and thought that was pretty good...

Anyway I'm stuck between getting an RT or a full windows 8.1 tablet.

I've seen this: http://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/prod...14102-00000001

Which seems a bargain, considering second hand RT's can go for about 150.

Thoughts?

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft Surface

i got the Surface RT 8.1 With Free Office 365, 64 gb refurb by Microsoft, comes in new box, all MS sealed & not a mark on it like new £159, its a USA modal but still great bit of kit from
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2911984657...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    i have seen 32 gb versions going for alot more & i would not waste money on the cover/keyboard as then its not a tablet.lol
    Last edited by WRATH OF BOD; 2nd November 2014 at 10:46 PM.

Sent By Brick Wrapped In Paper Thrown Through The Window..........

2 Thanks given to WRATH OF BOD

beansontoast (3rd November 2014),  DJ OD (2nd November 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

we use an RT at work and its quite good, only problem with the RT is you can only really install apps from the Windows Store, you cant just install a desktop app which you can do on the Full version
    personally i would definitely get the cover/keyboard as it makes typing emails etc. so much easier
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another option is the Dell Venue 11 Pro. They do both a Windows 8.1 RT version and a Windows 8.1 Professional version and can be picked up quite cheap from the Dell Outlet Store with a 12 month warranty. I think they were a little buggy when Dell released them initially but they seem to have ironed out most of the issues now. I picked up a Windows 8.1 Pro version with an i5 CPU, 8gb ram, 256GB SSD and 4G card for £425 off there recently and it bloody flies.

The RT models seem well specced also and I think they sell from £150 upwards. If there aren't any available that take your fancy when you look, keep checking back as the stock seems to change daily.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have the i5 Surface Pro 3 and it is pretty awesome if a bit pricey. There are two types of keyboards you can buy. Touch and Type. The "Type" keyboard is MUCH better that the touch one.

Very fast and the screen is lovely - especially for Photoshop. Stay away from the i7 model though. It gets hella hot!!!
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

As I already have a full laptop, I'm not really looking for full windows tbh.

Quick quiz, am I better off getting the cheap branded 8.1 I linked or the refurb rt?

My mate thinks the full 8.1 one maybe clunky as processor maybe crap. I checked it out and seems it's half decent...

I would opt for keyboard also, but surely any Bluetooth keyboard would work?

What about wireless printing and installing 'fixed' apps etc? Important stuff lol

DJ OD
    Last edited by DJ OD; 3rd November 2014 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Selling my Asus T100 later this month when my works surface 3 turns up.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Would go with the surface over anything unbranded, as you are kind of buying blind. Despite the fact that on paper the specs look pretty similar to the MS stuff, for build quality and performance you'd be hard pushed to find something better than a surface.

Although the surfaces pro's (8.1 models) are incredible perfromance-wise, they a little bit thicker than I would like for a tablet. RT is a gorgeous, gorgeous tablet, but I couldn't live with it, need to run exe files, but that's personal preference/need. For a media tablet or just word processing, browsing etc the RT version is just fine.

I now have the dell venue 11 pro, which is dells rival to the surface tablets. Earlier models were apparently not great, as in they all had constant issues (even mine did) but my replacement tablet has been outstanding. Games, photoshop, ableton etc are a dream and the battery life is forever. Build quality is lovely. However they aren't the cheapest windows tab out there. Also the pen is shit.

For a cheap tab with windows (ish) I'd go go for the RT.

Thanks to Cosmicpore

DJ OD (3rd November 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicpore View Post
    Would go with the surface over anything unbranded, as you are kind of buying blind. Despite the fact that on paper the specs look pretty similar to the MS stuff, for build quality and performance you'd be hard pushed to find something better than a surface.

Although the surfaces pro's (8.1 models) are incredible perfromance-wise, they a little bit thicker than I would like for a tablet. RT is a gorgeous, gorgeous tablet, but I couldn't live with it, need to run exe files, but that's personal preference/need. For a media tablet or just word processing, browsing etc the RT version is just fine.

I now have the dell venue 11 pro, which is dells rival to the surface tablets. Earlier models were apparently not great, as in they all had constant issues (even mine did) but my replacement tablet has been outstanding. Games, photoshop, ableton etc are a dream and the battery life is forever. Build quality is lovely. However they aren't the cheapest windows tab out there. Also the pen is shit.

For a cheap tab with windows (ish) I'd go go for the RT.
    I know what you mean, but the specs do seem to been near on the same as the specs for the T100 fear345 mentions. Except screen is a fraction bigger, and it has USB3.

Last thing I want to do is pipe up for something like that and regret it, putting me off the whole win tablet scene.

I am leaning towards a Surface 2 (RT) as I'm told that the second iteration irons out the issues the first RT had. That said a price of £160 above for a recon US version RT is a nice price, even without the keyboard.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    I know what you mean, but the specs do seem to been near on the same as the specs for the T100 fear345 mentions. Except screen is a fraction bigger, and it has USB3.

Last thing I want to do is pipe up for something like that and regret it, putting me off the whole win tablet scene.

I am leaning towards a Surface 2 (RT) as I'm told that the second iteration irons out the issues the first RT had. That said a price of £160 above for a recon US version RT is a nice price, even without the keyboard.

DJ OD
    Back when I was looking for a tab I read that the unbranded ones usually have really shit CPUs or PSUs or both, which was kind of hidden from the specs, but who knows, maybe things have changed.

I think the T100 has a usb3 port in the dock? Maybe I'm remembering wrong...

I reckon the RT2 would be worth the punt (if you are buying direct from MS you can always chuck it back to them if you hate it). I had the RT for several months and really had no problems with it, for what it was (except the 1-angle kickstand, but that's gone now).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicpore View Post
    I now have the dell venue 11 pro. Earlier models were apparently not great, as in they all had constant issues (even mine did) but my replacement tablet has been outstanding. Games, photoshop, ableton etc are a dream and the battery life is forever. Build quality is lovely.
    I got the Dell xps 10 which is the earlier model of the Venue and it rocks, the build quality is great its fast enough and powerful enough to run multiple apps.

I would go for the RT over the Pro as its a tablet rather than a full blown laptop with the keyboard cut off ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've pretty much decided I want to get a genuine MS Surface 2 RT now. I'm a bit concerned the first RT might be old hat now. I am also debating to see if there is any surprises with them over Christmas - Black Friday - Jan sales.

Despite "wanting" one, I will do my best to resist a bit longer and see what pops up.

At the moment I can get the Original 64gb RT US refurb for £159 (above) or a refurb Surface 2 RT 32gb for £239 from eBay Argos. The capacity isn't really a concern for me, as they can have an SD card in. Plus my iPad mini is only 16gb and I don't really need space. Streaming, network etc.

DJ OD