Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC Sport I'm not a money-grabber - Sterling

Raheem Sterling has told BBC Sport he is not a "money-grabbing 20-year-old" after confirming he has turned down a new £100,000-a-week Liverpool deal.

He also says he will not discuss a new contract with the Reds until the summer, no matter how big a deal he might be offered in the meantime.

"It's not about the money at all," the England forward said.

"It's never been about money. I talk about winning trophies throughout my career. That's all I talk about."

He added: "I don't talk about how many cars I'm going to drive, how many houses I've got. I just purely want to be the best I can be."

Liverpool's last piece of silverware came in 2012, when they beat Cardiff on penalties to win the League Cup.

Sterling, who joined the Reds from QPR in 2010, did not become a first-team regular until the following season.

"I don't want to be perceived as a money-grabbing 20-year-old," said the player, who has two years left on a contract worth £35,000 a week.

BBC sports correspondent Natalie Pirks:

"I've interviewed Raheem Sterling before and he comes across as quiet and considered, certainly shy around the television cameras. This time it was much the same, but I could sense palpable frustration at everything that has been said and written about him recently. More upsetting for him was the way some Liverpool fans now perceive him as a mercenary. He saw this interview as a chance to put the record straight."

"I just want to be seen as a kid who loves to play football and to do the best for the team."

Earlier this season, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers said Sterling had been offered
    an "incredible deal for a young player"
    but now accepts talks will have to wait until the summer.

"I am sure it will be resolved and the concentration for Raheem is now on his football and it is clear the terms of when those talks will begin again," Rodgers said last month.

In the interview with the BBC, Sterling also said he would have accepted less than £100,000 a week had he been offered a new deal this time last year, when the Reds were chasing the Premier League title.

"If, at that point in time, I was offered a contract, I most definitely would have signed straight away, probably for far less money than being said now," he said. "I just think the timing was a bit off."

Sterling's future has been an almost endless source of speculation, with stories tipping him for a move to Manchester City, Arsenal, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

"I try to kill it off, but I don't think the public can see it that way," Sterling said. "I think they just see it as this 20-year-old boy being greedy.

"I just want to take the time to think about what I've achieved in my career so far, where I need to go and what I need to do to get better as a player."

Sterling said it was "quite flattering" to be linked with the Gunners, a team Liverpool face this weekend.

"I try to just block everything out and do well," he said.

"Next game is against Arsenal and I want to do my best. I won't be hiding. As I said, I'm just happy to be playing football."

In his interview, Sterling said one of his targets for the remainder of the season was to help Liverpool win the FA Cup.

If they beat Blackburn in a replay next week, the Reds will face Aston Villa in the semi-finals on 19 April.

Raheem Sterling exclusively told the BBC that he has already turned down an £100,000-a-week offer

"I want to win something at the end of the season and the FA Cup's a great chance," Sterling said.

Liverpool, who finished second to Manchester City in the Premier League last season, have already had to deal with the loss of two key players.

Striker Luis Suarez joined Barcelona last summer, while influential captain Steven Gerrard will leave the club at the end of the season.

The potential departure of Sterling, who scored his first senior goal for England in a 4-0 win over Lithuania in a Euro 2016 qualifier on Friday, would be another big blow.

"I just want to focus on football and, when it gets to the end of the season, assess my position as a 20-year-old player playing in the Premier League," the Jamaican-born forward said.

If you want to hear more from Sterling, you can read some of his thoughts below or watch the embedded interview.

On speaking out now:

"I keep hearing I've rejected all sorts of contracts. Me, the club and my reps have spoken about it and put talks on hold until end of season, so it's frustrating to hear the contract situation keep going on and on. I just wanted to get my point across on the whole thing."

On his future:

"In my head I've sat down and thought about it. But, at the end of the season, I just want to sit down with the club and my representatives. I will definitely give guarantees when the season has finished."

On rejecting a £100,000-a-week deal:

"When I started out at QPR, I would never have dreamt of this day, to have such a huge offer in front of me. I'm really thankful. I just want to solely focus on my football right now. I want to win something at the end of the season and the FA Cup's a great chance."

On accusations he is greedy:

"The public just think you want more and that's not the case at this moment in time. I'm just a kid that loves playing football. That's how it's been since I was a young kid. I've never ever wanted to demand anything off no-one, I'm just trying to demand the best of myself."

On criticism from former players:

"I want the best for me and I want to reach my goals that I set out as a young kid. They've had their dreams when they were playing and that's no different for me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I won't really take any notice of what they're saying."

On the constant contract speculation:

"The fans get a bit frustrated with me because I'm not signing straight away. They can get on your back a little bit, but this is football and you have to accept these things. I try to block it out of my head, which is the whole reason why I've said I want to wait till the end of the season."

On what Liverpool fans might think:

"I would never want the fans to think bad of me, to think I just want as much money for myself. I want them to understand it's been a bit much for me this season, with everyone talking about it every minute."

On playing abroad:

"Everyone's dream growing up is seeing themselves in an away kit somewhere in a sunny country. But, in reality, I'm happy to be playing for Liverpool and trying to win trophies."

On Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers:

"I speak to Brendan on good terms. He calls me when he needs to talk to me and I can talk to him when I want. There's nothing bad to say or think about Brendan. He's been really good to me since I came into the team and he's always tried to help me."

"The club has offered an incredible deal for a young player," Rodgers said earlier in the season

On the departures of Suarez and Gerrard:

"You really want to be working with world-class players day in, day out. It's obviously left a little dent, these two world-class superstars leaving, but I think we have good players coming through at Liverpool."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: I'm not a money-grabber - Sterling

Will be off if Liverpool don't finish top 4 regardless

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yup to arsenal coz they win trophies regular too

3 Thanks given to Scal

noname69 (1st April 2015),  Raptor (1st April 2015),  the.insane (2nd April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If he he wants to go fuck him he's far from the finished article and needs to improve a hell of a lot, oh and he can take that other useless cnut with him Henderson.

Thanks to jacko1

the.insane (2nd April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Henderson? He's doing well for us now! Sterlings leaving its so obvious his interview screams "I want to move on" The only reason he doesnt come out and just say it, is the few months of the season left. I bet if Rodgers didn't need him to try to get us into the top four he would have been benched but isn't that worrying, how good are we without Sterling? I think we are still a 5-7 placed team even after all that money spent and thats due to not buying proven!

Anyway f\/ck him and f\/ck any other players who don't want to stay, my only worry is the money we make from his sale will probably go on even more "Promising players" Instead of buying already proven world class players.

YNWA 96

Thanks
    Karma Level

be gutted to see sterling leave as believe he is a talented player and feel it would be wrong decision for him going to somewhere like chelsea or man city as he would not get in the starting 11 - just look at the promising youngsters that have gone to Chelsea and City and sat on the bench.

If he wants to leave then we do have players that can come up from the youth in Jordan Ibe and Jerome Sinclair that could easily slot in the team - we also have origi coming back from Lille in the summer.

lets get 50+ million for him and go and buy a world class striker as that is what liverpool need.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It'd be crap to see Sterling go but on the flip side, he's a ball greedy cunt. Fucker just doesn't know when to pass the ball on. It seems it's all about " I want to score the goal, I want to score the goal". The amount of missed chances we've had as a result of him just not passing to the man at his side that has a clear view is ridiculous but there's so much time to sort that out.

I'd definitely be shit to see him go and especially wouldn't like to see him go to a bunch of cunts like Chelsea but if that's how it ends, that's how it ends.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Taken at face value he won't win the league at Liverpool, says he wants trophies then he has to leave.
    I'm sure the Liverpool owners would sell him if the right offer comes in

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It just reminds me of the way Michael Owen shafted us! I have loads of friends who don't rate sterling! Is he living on the hype of being England's next talisman?
    Sell him to the rich russians! or to Ronaldo Madrid, where they can kick the shit out of his car for not passing the ball.

Bring the youth through the ranks who respect the club and it's values!

Thanks
    Karma Level

He has now turned down £180,000 a week that's what Stevie G was on :-0
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...week-deal.html

Promising player but 2 seasons don't make a world class player ask Andy Carrol or Ask Harry Kane next year.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post

Promising player but 2 seasons don't make a world class player ask Andy Carrol or Ask Harry Kane next year.
    I'll take it with a pinch of salt but £180K PER WEEK?!?! Just over £9m a year - a ridiculous amount of money.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post

Don't belive everything the papers say..

Sterling is wasted on the wing... hes bailed us out a few times up top this year. Thats where he should play.

But to change our formation after such success since the 3-0 loss to Utd is risky..

With sturridge out. Back up top sterling goes.hes happyish then.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I commend the guy on not taking the money and not money grabbing and wanting to win things.. Why play a position you are not comfortable with? allthough rodgers may think he's more effective in that position.

I personally think he's wasted and needs to be in a front 3 like when playing for England.

If he wants to win thing's then fair do's he needs to leave liverpool.

It seem's genune he doesn't care to much about the money.

I woudn't be on 35k a week to be honest, alot of people don't earn that in a year.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think he's doing anything different than what Rooney did with regards to contract negotiations so i can't really bash him

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I don't think he's doing anything different than what Rooney did with regards to contract negotiations so i can't really bash him
    I think Rooney was far more established as a footballer when he started all that shit, i don't have a problem with him trying to get whatever he wants but it wasn't long ago that he was spouting that he wouldn't want to go anywhere else, what's changed? He's been tapped up as far as im concerned but fuck him if thats what he wants, i can see him going the same was as Shaun Wright Philips if hes not careful.

Thanks to jacko1

Raptor (10th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ancojo View Post
    Henderson? He's doing well for us now! Sterlings leaving its so obvious his interview screams "I want to move on" The only reason he doesnt come out and just say it, is the few months of the season left. I bet if Rodgers didn't need him to try to get us into the top four he would have been benched but isn't that worrying, how good are we without Sterling? I think we are still a 5-7 placed team even after all that money spent and thats due to not buying proven!

Anyway f\/ck him and f\/ck any other players who don't want to stay, my only worry is the money we make from his sale will probably go on even more "Promising players" Instead of buying already proven world class players.

YNWA 96
    Yes Henderson, you tell me what he offers the team? as a central midfield player he doesn't score enough doesn't tackle and doesn't influence the game at all, do you really think he is good enough to take over from Gerrard? we need a box to box midfield player who dominates and put tackles in we're too soft.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1 View Post
    Yes Henderson, you tell me what he offers the team? as a central midfield player he doesn't score enough doesn't tackle and doesn't influence the game at all, do you really think he is good enough to take over from Gerrard? we need a box to box midfield player who dominates and put tackles in we're too soft.
    Its OK the brodge has convinced milner to join according the the Manchester rumour mill......he can do all of those things just not that well....[emoji6]

Thanks
    Karma Level

he will be ofski if no CL next season or someone else comes in with money bags

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    he will be ofski if no CL next season or someone else comes in with money bags
    There will def be no CL next season for Liverpool. bet on it.