Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Funny Alan Partridge to make a chat show comeback online for big payday

His last attempt at reviving Alan Partridge ended in disaster.
    But Steve Coogan has been handed another chance to bring back his most famous comic creation, after being handed a lucrative contract with Australian beer company Fosters.
    The comedian will now star as the socially inept DJ in a series of ten, 12-minute episodes, which are to be screened across the internet as part of Fosters' new promotional campaign.

They will be produced by the 44-year-old's TV company Baby Cow, who have made hit shows including Gavin and Stacey and The Mighty Boosh and are to be released in the Autumn.
    The original television series, I'm Alan Partridge, told the story of a failed television presenter turned local DJ who was living at the fictional Linton Travel Tavern near Norwich.

The BBC series, which regularly attracted up to six million veiwers, ran between 1997 and 2002.
    Coogan and co-creator Armando Iannucci, 46, have both regularly hinted at trying to bring the character to the big screen.
    Since it ended, Coogan has gone on to have major movie success, starring in Around The World In 80 Days and Night At The Museum, alongside Hollywood star Ben Stiller.
    Coogan last revived the character for a live tour in October 2008 called, 'Steve Coogan is Alan Partridge and other less successful characters Live'.
    However, he was booed and heckled by furious fans at the Liverpool Echo Arena, many of whom walked out disgusted at the quality of two shows in the 10,000 seat arena.

It is understood that Coogan was offered a huge cash offer to revive his character this time around, with a source adding: 'Steve has agreed to get Alan out of semi-retirement for a lot of cash.
    'It's all part of Fosters moving into comedy. One of their initiatives is to persuade writers and comedians to revive classic British comedies on the internet.'
    Coogan, who split from wife Caroline Hickman in 2005, is dating China Chow, 36, daughter of Mr Chow restaurateur Michael, 70.
    His most recent television work has seen him film six-part series The Trip with comedy pal Rob Brydon, which sees them dine at six restaurants in the north of England.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ig-payday.html

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Alan Partridge to make a chat show comeback online for big payday

Looking forward to seeing these, I found the series really funny.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had never heard of the Liverpool shows. What happened there then?
    Last edited by WalterPill; 4th September 2010 at 03:26 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WalterPill View Post
    I had never heard of the Liverpool shows. What happened there then?

Ditto. That said he has done some stinker characters in the past. His Coogans Run show was dire.

I do think that Paul/Pauline Calf could stay in retirement. Always liked Ernest Moss Gareth Cheeseman and Duncan Thicket was okay if a little obvious. For me Tony Ferrino was genius but not enough people got it. Shame.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My mate went to see him in Liverpool and other than partridge and calf he said he was absolutely dire and was tempted to walk out himself...He's a massive Coogan fan as well so he must have been shite.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.fostersfunny.co.uk/alanpartridge/

Dont forget...first episode up on Friday 5th Nov!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

i went to the last live tour and thought it was hilarious

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

"Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wow that was pretty terrible.
    All sweeping statements are wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cenus_ View Post
    Wow that was pretty terrible.
    Really? I thought it was OK, chuckled in a few places.

Perhpas it was due to not seeing any Alan Partidge stuff recently
    360 Gamertag: crazyai
    PSN Gamertag: psxgalaxy
    IM me at pushme.to

Thanks
    Karma Level

It was ok, but I'm comparing it to is the original 2 series of I'm Alan Partridge, which is amazing. Probably unfair but it really disappoints me when they resurrect something that was brilliant and then ruin it.
    All sweeping statements are wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    His last attempt at reviving Alan Partridge ended in disaster.
    Gutted: After years and years of quoting him and ROTFL at all his shit (from Kiss my face, Jurassic park, smell my chess, cock piss partridge - right up to comic relief sports commentator - England scoring the goal and shouting TWAT!!!) I was embarrassed that I took my wife to this show after bulling him up big time - and it was majorly shit. It was like he was going through the motions and didn't give a fuck.

Since then hes had some plum roles in movies over here - nothing spectacular but recognizable all the same.

I pray that we can get Alan back albeit briefly.

FYI this stinks of riding the Gervais/Merchant/Pilkington podcast train - we'll see....

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH9AWZAYMtY

this is funnier! looks jam-esque.

Tweeted by Armando btw so I bet he got CM on the case
    "Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Gutted: After years and years of quoting him and ROTFL at all his shit (from Kiss my face, Jurassic park, smell my chess, cock piss partridge - right up to comic relief sports commentator - England scoring the goal and shouting TWAT!!!) I was embarrassed that I took my wife to this show after bulling him up big time - and it was majorly shit. It was like he was going through the motions and didn't give a fuck.

Since then hes had some plum roles in movies over here - nothing spectacular but recognizable all the same.

I pray that we can get Alan back albeit briefly.

FYI this stinks of riding the Gervais/Merchant/Pilkington podcast train - we'll see....

I bought the DVD for £10 about 8 months ago (I never buy DVDs so that is saying something).
    I thought it was just OK, the odd laugh here and there.
    Some of his characters are just shit!

I love the Alan Partridge shows and I thought the last series wasn't too bad.

I will give whoever posts the funniest comment on here the DVD for free (you pay the postage)
    wit woo

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    If your sad enough, like me, to watch the directors commentary on the 2nd series of I'm Alan Partridge, Coogan has a massive dig at Gervais for his David Brent character being "More partridge than partridge"

Thanks
    Karma Level

thought it was very good, thing is with partridge a lot of the younger generation just wont get it, what with references to Deacon Blue and Anthea turner, unless he has a bit of dizzy rascal in there or chipmunk or whatever shite they listen to nowadays then they just wont find it funny. For us who watched the original stuff and do actually get it then its just as funny now, i just find the whole partdrige awkwardness thing brilliant, the mans a genius and he's a manc too! Thought it was great and cant wait for the next one which is now only 2 days away......Jackpot! In off the pink!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    thought it was very good, thing is with partridge a lot of the younger generation just wont get it, what with references to Deacon Blue and Anthea turner, unless he has a bit of dizzy rascal in there or chipmunk or whatever shite they listen to nowadays then they just wont find it funny. For us who watched the original stuff and do actually get it then its just as funny now, i just find the whole partdrige awkwardness thing brilliant, the mans a genius and he's a manc too! Thought it was great and cant wait for the next one which is now only 2 days away......Jackpot! In off the pink!
    Do you want this DVD free?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Coogan.../dp/B002KSA4CY

If you do then paypal me £1 for the postage
    wit woo

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Karl Pilkington