Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default "up to" speeds - BT Broadband

Shower of fucking cunts.

Signed up for BT Broadband as a new customer, ADSL only as no fibre in my area. Brand new build with all new wiring and using the master socket.

When I took it out they said it was upto 18mb, but they estimated around 9mb.

Once the service was activated (took 3 weeks) I was getting speeds 1.1/1.2 MB download, and 200k upload. I went back into my account and the estimated speed has changed to 1mb - 1.5mb.

Which is fucking shocking, considering I'm paying £30 per month, for next to nothing internet.

Is there anything you guys know of regarding cancelling contract earlier to due shite speeds?

BT say they are within tolerance for their estimates speeds, so saying everything is OK from their side.

Thanks to BigBrand

Over Carl (26th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: "up to" speeds - BT Broadband

Careful on the difference between bits and bytes. A 9 MegaBIT line would indeed yield downloads of around 1 megabyte p/s.

They are cunts, make no mistake.

Thanks to Ganty

BigBrand (27th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds like a big drop. Used to contract for them, and there are a number of reason for a big drop in estimation like that.

Common one is faulty internal wiring but if you had no issues previously rule that out, another common issue is areas around the country where in times of hardship (during the war lol) BT used aluminium instead of copper when they couldn't get there hands on enough copper. xDSL DOES NOT like aluminium.

In cases of a massive drop like this BT will usually let you out of contract. They always argue estimation etc but 20% could be argued not the fucking 90% drop you have seen.
    Any issues try CEO Email. Always helped me out in the past.

Edit: How far are you from exchange... Samknows will tell you

Thanks to piggzy

BigBrand (27th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Same story at my mum's. When changed from Virgin to BT, was told would probably get about 20Mb. That ended up working out at 2.5Mb.

My suspicion is that we have a shit line from the green box down the road to the house. I've been planning on ordering another phone line, getting number ported then terminating the original line but never quite got round to it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Be fecking cheaper to get a 5G dongle with unlimited data package.

Thanks
    Karma Level

How far are you from your exchange?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They have now introduced guaranteed minimum speeds, what is yours listed as? Fill in the section at the top with postcode and number:
    http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...dband-packages

My guaranteed speed was around 30 but I was getting 23, they sent an engineer out who spent a lot of time here and got me up to speed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

How long have you had it. I've had DSL installed before that's taken about 2 weeks to settle. For the first two weeks my speeds were shocking. Are you using a micro filter? Could be dodgy - find someone else you can swap with to test.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

this is true as long as meets the guaranteed speeds on a wired connection they wont let you out of contract, if it doesnt then they would look to get it back up to that speed and if they cant they would release you out of contract, one thing i would say unless you look at virgin, your speeds wont be any better if you do still want to cancel after speaking to them and there are any problems drop me a message mate
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    They have now introduced guaranteed minimum speeds, what is yours listed as? Fill in the section at the top with postcode and number:

My guaranteed speed was around 30 but I was getting 23, they sent an engineer out who spent a lot of time here and got me up to speed.

Thanks to trueblue924

piggzy (27th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Sounds like a big drop. Used to contract for them, and there are a number of reason for a big drop in estimation like that.

Common one is faulty internal wiring but if you had no issues previously rule that out, another common issue is areas around the country where in times of hardship (during the war lol) BT used aluminium instead of copper when they couldn't get there hands on enough copper. xDSL DOES NOT like aluminium.

In cases of a massive drop like this BT will usually let you out of contract. They always argue estimation etc but 20% could be argued not the fucking 90% drop you have seen.
    Any issues try CEO Email. Always helped me out in the past.

Edit: How far are you from exchange... Samknows will tell you
    Thanks mate, the property is a brand new build and when Openreach came out to activate the line, they said it was all good their end.

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post
    Be fecking cheaper to get a 5G dongle with unlimited data package.
    I thought that, except we don't get any phone signal here, it's a little remove, so just about getting GPRS upstairs only!

Quote Originally Posted by MHP View Post
    How far are you from your exchange?
    2.36KM SamKNows says fro the exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post

Estimated speeds

1Mb-3.5MbEstimated download speed* range

512kMinimum speed guarantee*

Before I had bought it, it said estimated speed around 9 Mb, but now the line is activated it's been reduced on their own site.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    How long have you had it. I've had DSL installed before that's taken about 2 weeks to settle. For the first two weeks my speeds were shocking. Are you using a micro filter? Could be dodgy - find someone else you can swap with to test.
    About 3 months, I tried to end the contract once I saw the speeds, but they said cancellation terms only apply from 2 weeks of placing the order, not activation, they took over 3 weeks to activate, fucking twats

This is my speed when connected via Ethernet.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6087756467

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your speeds should have been in your original email and the call will be recorded. So if it is different you can raise it that way as a complaint. They will listen to the call and they will see what speeds were given to you over the phone. If they tell you the estimate is much higher than your current estimate then I am sure they will release you from the contract.

Thanks
    Karma Level

2.36km. You definitely have a problem. Is been a while since I worked on them but I would guess speeds of 8 to 12Mb going through copper. Is your exchange ADSL or ADSL2 enabled? Have you tried disconnecting all of the internal wiring in your home and connecting your router to the master socket? Have you tried a different router? Is there any conditions on the line, humming, crackling etc?
    If your home wiring and equipment checks out then I would push for a E side change (the pair going back to the exchange) a D side change (the pair going back to the cab) and an equipment change at the exchange (the port coming of the DSLAM/MUX at the exchange) BT won't like to do any of theses things because the like to find the fault and not just swap out but sometimes its whats needed.

2 Thanks given to MHP

BigBrand (27th February 2017),  Over Carl (27th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

How do you insist BT should replace either pair?

I remember about 5 years ago getting a commercial BT ADsL line that was giving about 1Mb, while other lines in the same building with other providers wee getting about 10-15Mb.

IIRC, BT said if line delivered less than 0.5Mb they would accept it was faulty but ours was not.

We had to pay 12 months for a line that was practically unusable and just got a Zen line to use instead.

Thanks to Over Carl

MHP (27th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unscrew front top half of Master Socket. This reveals a test socket that is disconnected from all internal wiring. Connect router to this and you will eliminate one possibility .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just look at the snr in the internal page ,tell you if the lines noisy or not

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    How do you insist BT should replace either pair?

I remember about 5 years ago getting a commercial BT ADsL line that was giving about 1Mb, while other lines in the same building with other providers wee getting about 10-15Mb.

IIRC, BT said if line delivered less than 0.5Mb they would accept it was faulty but ours was not.

We had to pay 12 months for a line that was practically unusable and just got a Zen line to use instead.
    Basically, cause a fuss. Keep re reporting a fault, email the chairman's office, twitter etc . The aim of the game is to get it upped to SFI (Special fault investigation) You will then get an engineer who knows his shit and will probably do one or all of the things I mentioned.
    If it was me doing an SFI back in the day I would dis the pair at the exchange and test for speed at the equipment. If it was good there, then I would move to the cab and check for speed there and so on. This method will determine where the problem lies. This takes time and most BT customer service engineers are chased for productivity. An engineer on an SFI will have more time.

Thanks to MHP

Over Carl (27th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unscrew front top half of Master Socket. This reveals a test socket that is disconnected from all internal wiring. Connect router to this and you will eliminate one possibility .
    In an ideal world, yes. That the correct way. However unless I can physically trace the cable back from the NTE (Main Socket) to the DP (Distribution Point) from the cab then I will always be suspicious.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue924 View Post
    Your speeds should have been in your original email and the call will be recorded. So if it is different you can raise it that way as a complaint. They will listen to the call and they will see what speeds were given to you over the phone. If they tell you the estimate is much higher than your current estimate then I am sure they will release you from the contract.
    I've got the confirmation E-ail and it doesn't state unfortunately, it did say online, estimated 9Mb, but I don't have a photo of that or anything. I will start kicking off and see how I go there.

Quote Originally Posted by MHP View Post
    2.36km. You definitely have a problem. Is been a while since I worked on them but I would guess speeds of 8 to 12Mb going through copper. Is your exchange ADSL or ADSL2 enabled? Have you tried disconnecting all of the internal wiring in your home and connecting your router to the master socket? Have you tried a different router? Is there any conditions on the line, humming, crackling etc?
    If your home wiring and equipment checks out then I would push for a E side change (the pair going back to the exchange) a D side change (the pair going back to the cab) and an equipment change at the exchange (the port coming of the DSLAM/MUX at the exchange) BT won't like to do any of theses things because the like to find the fault and not just swap out but sometimes its whats needed.
    Broadband availability overview
    ADSL: Yes
    SDSL: Yes
    LLU services: Yes
    Cable: Yes
    Wireless: No

I've not tried a different router, as I don't know how to get the ADSL log in details from the router to input on another router. I've not yet tested the master socker (see gout thread) but will soon.

Will try this ASAP, although I have a master socker, and one extension fitted about 2m away, and they were only put in within 6 months ago, so should all be brand new.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In my experience the internal wiring and devices in a house can cause a lot of noise on the line.

IF possible as suggested above run the router off the test socket by removing the lower part of the faceplate on the master socket for at least 24 hours with no other devices connected to the line itself. After 24 hours plug in a phone and check for any crackles etc and test some calls to to see the effect on the DSL. As the ringer sends signals to the socket to produce the ring it is important to test the effect of incoming calls on the DSL sync so call the land line from mobile. It is feasible you can double your downstream sync speeds by disconnecting so older internal wiring, even though yours is relatively new there is still a slight chance damage to the pvc insulation or a cheapo socket or a poorly punched connection in the house is producing noise on the line

Thanks to MajorFU

piggzy (1st March 2017)