Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Garmin Nuvi 255 Info

Hi all,

I would appreciate some information if I may. The wife has a Garmin Nuvi 255 (a good few years old now, if not older). I would like to know if it is possible to update maps on this device. I am ultimately looking to use a satnav in Europe in the summer and am just investigating the possibility of being able to upgrade. I have looked around this forum but cannot see much regarding the Nuvi. The device currently only has a UK map installed from when purchased and does not have an sdcard slot of any kind. I have tried to download some .img files of Croatia and change the Map Info to this file. This did load but said that it couldn't find a satellite. I wasn't sure if this is because I was in the UK when I loaded it (therefore way out of range) or not. I didn't want to play too far and end up bricking it without having a reference point from which to work from.

If someone has a viable link or pointer where I can understand more about this I would appreciate it, as all I can find is mainly TomTom related.

Thanks in advance.

BB

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Garmin Nuvi 255 Info

Really don't know if you can use a copied map on your Nuvi, but think it might be possible. A quick google search came up with this -
    http://www.gpspower.net/garmin-tutor...i-255w-sd.html
    The main map needs to be named gmapprom.img , any other maps have to have a different name such as gmapsupp.img . The copied map will either have to be an unlocked map or it will need unlocking.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bitbyter View Post
    Hi all,

I would appreciate some information if I may. The wife has a Garmin Nuvi 255 (a good few years old now, if not older). I would like to know if it is possible to update maps on this device. I am ultimately looking to use a satnav in Europe in the summer and am just investigating the possibility of being able to upgrade. I have looked around this forum but cannot see much regarding the Nuvi. The device currently only has a UK map installed from when purchased and does not have an sdcard slot of any kind. I have tried to download some .img files of Croatia and change the Map Info to this file. This did load but said that it couldn't find a satellite. I wasn't sure if this is because I was in the UK when I loaded it (therefore way out of range) or not. I didn't want to play too far and end up bricking it without having a reference point from which to work from.

If someone has a viable link or pointer where I can understand more about this I would appreciate it, as all I can find is mainly TomTom related.

Thanks in advance.

BB
    You should have read your welcome message, second post leech? you're lucky I didn't get to you first!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

are you sure there's no micro sd slot, should be on left hand side of unit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Russ,

Thank you for your kind reply. I have had a quick read through the link in your post. I shall have another read and then have a play next week when I am off shift and on rest days. Apologies, if this seemed like a 'give me - spoon thing', it was only meant as a simple question to see if I was able to do what I was hoping. I don't expect everything hand delivered, just a pointer, that you gave was sufficient - thank you; it gives me somewhere to start in a field that I am not that knowledgeable on. I was also not that keen on bujjering up the wife's satnav straight off, I would never have heard the end of it. I shall post my findings when I get somewhere, or not, so others may have a point of reference in the future; however I am aware that this unit is old and most probably have more updated kit. Give me until next week though as I will not be be able to get engrossed in it until then.

Hi blaggard,

Thanks, you're far too kind. I have now read my introduction email, as you quite rightly pointed out that I neglected to do so. I have also updated my intro so others know a bit about me.I assume I can rely on you to advise if this reply and any proposed subsequent reply next week is seen as up'ing my post count.

Hi Ferrarifeet,

Embarrassingly enough, and I'm really ashamed to say, especially after being flamed, that yes, it does have an sdcard slot, micro sd by the looks of it. Well, I did say this is not my field (I'm not a big satnav user) and it is the wife's, but hey, no excuse, it would have helped if I'd actually looked over it more fully. Apologies, but I'm more used to having to connect up via whatever comms method is available and interrogating that way. Needless to say I have a spare 4GB micro sdcard and armed with the link above I shall investigate further. Thank you for pointing out what I should have already known. By the way, if your username implies you follow Ferrari, then congratulations on the last GP, looks like your boys have got their heads down and created some results. Might have a fight on then, should make for a good season if that is the case. Good luck.

BB