Close

Thread: R.I.P. Mr Spock

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default R.I.P. Mr Spock

Leonard Nimoy passes on

Leonard Nimoy, the sonorous, gaunt-faced actor who won a worshipful global following as Mr. Spock, the resolutely logical human-alien first officer of the Starship Enterprise in the television and movie juggernaut “Star Trek,” died on Friday morning at his home in the Bel Air section of Los Angeles. He was 83.

His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed his death, saying the cause was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Mr. Nimoy announced last year that he had the disease, attributing it to years of smoking, a habit he had given up three decades earlier. He had been hospitalized earlier in the week.

His artistic pursuits — poetry, photography and music in addition to acting — ranged far beyond the United Federation of Planets, but it was as Mr. Spock that Mr. Nimoy became a folk hero, bringing to life one of the most indelible characters of the last half century: a cerebral, unflappable, pointy-eared Vulcan with a signature salute and blessing: “Live long and prosper” (from the Vulcan “Dif-tor heh smusma”).

As part of the Yiddish Book Center Wexler Oral History Project, Leonard Nimoy explains the origin of the Vulcan hand signal used by Spock, his character in the “Star Trek” series. Video by Yiddish Book Center on Publish Date February 27, 2015. Photo by Yiddish Book Center’s Wexler Oral History Project.

Mr. Nimoy, who was teaching Method acting at his own studio when he was cast in the original “Star Trek” television series in the mid-1960s, relished playing outsiders, and he developed what he later admitted was a mystical identification with Spock, the lone alien on the starship’s bridge.

Yet he also acknowledged ambivalence about being tethered to the character, expressing it most plainly in the titles of two autobiographies: “I Am Not Spock,” published in 1977, and “I Am Spock,” published in 1995.

In the first, he wrote, “In Spock, I finally found the best of both worlds: to be widely accepted in public approval and yet be able to continue to play the insulated alien through the Vulcan character.”

“Star Trek,” which had its premiere on NBC on Sept. 8, 1966, made Mr. Nimoy a star. Gene Roddenberry, the creator of the franchise, called him “the conscience of ‘Star Trek’ ” — an often earnest, sometimes campy show that employed the distant future (as well as some special effects that appear primitive by today’s standards) to take on social issues of the 1960s.

His stardom would endure. Though the series was canceled after three seasons because of low ratings, a cultlike following — the conference-holding, costume-wearing Trekkies, or Trekkers (the designation Mr. Nimoy preferred) — coalesced soon after “Star Trek” went into syndication.

The fans’ devotion only deepened when “Star Trek” was spun off into an animated show, various new series and an uneven parade of movies starring much of the original television cast, including — besides Mr. Nimoy — William Shatner (as Captain Kirk), DeForest Kelley (Dr. McCoy), George Takei (the helmsman, Sulu), James Doohan (the chief engineer, Scott), Nichelle Nichols (the chief communications officer, Uhura) and Walter Koenig (the navigator, Chekov).

When the director J. J. Abrams revived the “Star Trek” film franchise in 2009, with an all-new cast including Zachary Quinto as Spock, he included a cameo part for Mr. Nimoy, as an older version of the same character. Mr. Nimoy also appeared in the 2013 follow-up, “Star Trek Into Darkness.”

His zeal to entertain and enlighten reached beyond “Star Trek” and crossed genres. He had a starring role in the dramatic television series “Mission: Impossible” and frequently performed onstage, notably as Tevye in “Fiddler on the Roof.” His poetry was voluminous, and he published books of his photography.

He also directed movies, including two from the “Star Trek” franchise, and television shows. And he made records, singing pop songs as well as original songs about “Star Trek,” and gave spoken-word performances — to the delight of his fans and the bewilderment of critics.

In one of his most memorable “Star Trek” performances, Mr. Nimoy tried to follow in the tradition of two actors he admired, Charles Laughton and Boris Karloff, who each played a monstrous character — Quasimodo and the Frankenstein monster — who is transformed by love.

In Episode 24, which was first shown on March 2, 1967, Mr. Spock is indeed transformed. Under the influence of aphrodisiacal spores he discovers on the planet Omicron Ceti III, he lets free his human side and announces his love for Leila Kalomi (Jill Ireland), a woman he had once known on Earth. In this episode, Mr. Nimoy brought to Spock’s metamorphosis not only warmth, compassion and playfulness, but also a rarefied concept of alienation.

“I am what I am, Leila,” Mr. Spock declares after the spores’ effect has worn off and his emotions are again in check. “And if there are self-made purgatories, then we all have to live in them. Mine can be no worse than someone else’s.”

Born in Boston on March 26, 1931, Leonard Simon Nimoy was the second son of Max and Dora Nimoy, Ukrainian immigrants and Orthodox Jews. His father worked as a barber.

From the age of 8, Leonard acted in local productions, winning parts at a community college, where he performed through his high school years. In 1949, after taking a summer course at Boston College, he traveled to Hollywood, though it wasn’t until 1951 that he landed small parts in two movies, “Queen for a Day” and “Rhubarb.”
    SOURCE
    Last edited by DejaVu; 2nd March 2015 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Posting the full 'fucking' story.

Thanks to spraky

plug1 (1st March 2015)  

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: R.I.P. Mr Spock

He lived long and prospered

RIP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31662024

Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek's Mr Spock, dies at 83

The BBC's David Sillito looks back at the life of Leonard Nimoy

US actor Leonard Nimoy, who played Mr Spock in the cult sci-fi series Star Trek, has died at the age of 83 in Los Angeles, his family has said.
    His son, Adam, said he died of end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on Friday morning.
    Nimoy had a long career as both an actor and director.
    However he was best known for his portrayal of the half-human, half-Vulcan character in both the TV franchise and series of films.
    Last year, the actor revealed he was suffering from chronic lung disease, despite stopping smoking more than 20 years ago.
    It was reported earlier this week he had been taken to hospital on 19 February after suffering from chest pains.
    He "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."
    He signed off with "LLAP" - a reference to his character's famous catchphrase, "Live long and prosper". It was to be his final tweet.
    Last edited by Mickey; 27th February 2015 at 08:03 PM.

2 Thanks given to Mickey

BertRoot (28th February 2015),  plug1 (1st March 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Post the fucking story and not just a link.

LLAP all.

Thanks to BertRoot

DJ OD (27th February 2015)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont usually post RIP for celebrities, but this one deserves a mention. As a child I was and to this day, I am a massive Star Trek fan. Had all the DVD's, and loved every aspect of the Trek Universe. Some fantastic acting from many different characters - but my all time favourite of course was Spock.

He was a terrific actor and all round human being. Sparked my love for science fiction. Absolutely gutted.

Thanks to CallmeGoose

TotallyRandom (2nd March 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    Post the fucking story and not just a link.

LLAP all.
    I did post the fucking story.

R.I.P. Mr Spock

Quote Originally Posted by spraky View Post
    Leonard Nimoy passes on
    LLAP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Legend. When the original Star Trek finished, I gave up watching the next generation etc. as it just wasn't the same for me and Spock was one of the main characters I liked.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gone but not forgotten.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Being a smartarse will get you nowhere. Have an infraction.

2 Thanks given to BertRoot

DJ OD (27th February 2015),  spraky (27th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    Legend. When the original Star Trek finished, I gave up watching the next generation etc. as it just wasn't the same for me and Spock was one of the main characters I liked.
    Same for me, I can watch the original Star Trek now and still find them entertaining.

My favourite Spock quote is: Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

RIP

Thanks to Rhinoz

Cosmicpore (28th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Shit man.

RIP Spock.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've seen the word 'cult' several times this evening.

Cult doesn't cut it.... Leonard Nimoy was fucking iconic!!

RIP Mr Spock

Thanks
    Karma Level

May the force be with him

Thanks to TheFincher

BertRoot (28th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoz View Post
    Same for me, I can watch the original Star Trek now and still find them entertaining.

My favourite Spock quote is: Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

RIP
    "Do not grieve, admiral. It is logical... that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few -- or the one. I have been, and always shall be, your friend. Live long... and prosper." --Spock, Star Trek II (1982).

Brings a tear.

Thanks to Cosmicpore

CallmeGoose (28th February 2015)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

R.I.P. Mr Spock

LLAP
    Live Long And Post The Full Story. Fixed.
    We come to DF to read. If we wanted links, we'd use Google.

The golden rule for the news section...
    Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    one word or sentence then just a link.

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=239166

Use copy and paste of the whole article otherwise Ill delete it.

Thanks to DejaVu

Bald Bouncer (2nd March 2015)