Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sky News Two terrorists shot dead at Mohammed Cartoon Event in the US

I believe in freedom of speech but I think its wrong to deliberately insult another persons religion for no other reason than to provoke hatred and violence. In my opinion the American Freedom Defence Initiative are irresponsible idiots who's actions are only going to push more Muslims to consider supporting IS, and probably get some innocent bystanders killed in the meantime. The majority of decent ordinary law abiding Muslims will accept a funny cartoon in a newspaper or a verbal joke about their religion. They will probably see the funny side and laugh at it themselves. I'm sure however that they would be offended when someone sets out with no other purpose than to insult their religion. You don't deliberately set out to insult the entire Muslim population just because of a relatively small minority of extremists that are fighting against you and your beliefs. All it does is highlight the fact that you a racist and no better than them. (">

-------------------------------------
    Police have hailed a "successful" security plan in shooting dead two gunmen who opened fire outside an event in Texas where cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed were on display. The gunfire erupted outside the competition venue in Garland, a suburb of Dallas, on Sunday night. The shooters began firing on a police vehicle that was blocking a parking lot entrance, Garland police spokesman Joe Harn said. One of the officers inside the vehicle got out and returned fire with a pistol, striking and killing both men who were armed with assault rifles. Officer Harn said the officer's actions likely saved lives. He did not release his name but said "his reaction and his shooting with a pistol; he did a good job".

The contest at the Curtis Culwell Center was organised by the New York-based American Freedom Defence Initiative, which aimed to award $10,000 for the cartoon judged the best. The group is known for campaigning against the building of an Islamic centre a few blocks from the World Trade Center in Manhattan and for buying advertising space in cities across the US criticising Islam. Officer Harn said a security plan for the provocative event had been developed over several months. The plan "was successful," he said at a news conference on Monday, adding that the two men "obviously were there to shoot people". "We were able to stop those men before they were able to penetrate the area and shoot anyone else. "Both men died there on the street next to their car." A SWAT team that had been positioned on the other side of the centre was able to respond to the sounds of gunfire within seconds and help secure the scene.

http://news.sky.com/story/1477531/po...-cartoon-event

2 Thanks given to BigBird

GTI (5th May 2015),  piggzy (5th May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Two terrorists shot dead at Mohammed Cartoon Event in the US

While I agree with you to a certain extent, about not provoking for the sake of it I do think that ALL muslims need to get a grip.

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

BigBird (5th May 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Its because of my personal experience that I can not agree with your point about ALL of them.

I was an engineer with Valeo for many years and worked alongside other engineers from Iraq, Iran and Pakistan. I found them to be a well educated decent bunch who didn't take their religion too seriously. I would sometimes wind them up about their religion and they would do the same with me. It was all a bit of fun and no one was offended. OK I admit I ended up in hospital once when one of them poisoned my pint... lol only kidding. (">

Thanks to BigBird

piggzy (5th May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have to agree. I have worked alongside many from Pakistan and India on varying contracts and have found the vast majority to be decent people.
    It is the minority that spoil it for the many imho

Thanks to piggzy

BigBird (6th May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nothing to do with Race or being 'Racist'. Imo, it's about idiots who have homed in on an Ideal (read as excuse) to kill for the sake of it whilst trying to validate that with some sort of distorted reasoning. There's plenty of piss takes about all other religions without the same reaction.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Have to agree. I have worked alongside many from Pakistan and India on varying contracts and have found the vast majority to be decent people.
    It is the minority that spoil it for the many imho
    ive found a lot of them beaurocratic very rank orientated (e.g. If you are a lower rank in the co. But running the project they're working on theyll refuse or ignore you if they don't want to do it) and not particularly good at their jobs. Most seemed to have the sole aim of putting in 2 or so years and getting out to Singapore or if v lucky EU/us

ok, not all like that, there were some terrific guys but they seemed to be the ones we hired earlier, the hiring policy became v lax.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I did find they all did a 2 year stint then buggered off to the US. UK must be stepping stone up their career path or something.