Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Car smoke ban 'to start in October'

Car smoke ban 'to start in October'

Smoking in cars with children will be banned in England, under new laws put forward by the government.

The regulations laid before Parliament propose banning smoking in cars containing under 18s.
    A fine of £50 will be issued to people who smoke or who fail to prevent another person smoking.
    MPs will vote on the plans before the election - and if they are passed the change in law will come into force on 1 October.
    The move comes after a free vote in Parliament in February gave ministers the power to introduce the law, although it did not compel them to.
    Public health minister Jane Ellison said: "Second-hand smoke is a real threat to children's health and we want them to grow up free from the risks of smoking.
    "The only effective way to protect children is to prevent them breathing second-hand smoke and our plans to stop smoking in cars carrying children will help us to do this."

Smoking in cars

• Smoke can stay in the air for up to two and a half hours even with a window open.
    • Second-hand smoke contains more than 4,000 chemicals, some of which are known to cause cancer.
    • Exposure has been strongly linked to chest infections, asthma, ear problems and cot death in children.
    • Research indicates 300,000 children in the UK visit a GP each year because of the effects of second-hand smoke, with 9,500 going to hospital.
    • Smoking in a car creates a higher concentration of toxins than in a bar, some research has put it at 11 times higher.
    • Bans on smoking in cars when children are present already exist in some US states, including California, as well as in parts of Canada and Australia.

Deborah Arnott, chief executive of Action on Smoking and Health, said: "We are delighted. We also urge the government to put the regulations on standardised packaging to Parliament before the general election.
    "This, together with the protection of children from second-hand smoke in cars, will help de-normalise smoking and protect children from this deadly addiction."
    But Simon Clark, director of smokers' lobby group Forest, said: "The government is taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. The overwhelming majority of smokers know smoking in a car with children is inconsiderate and they don't do it.
    "The regulations are unnecessary and excessive. Do we really want to criminalise people for lighting a cigarette in a private vehicle?"
    A ban on smoking in cars has also been put forward in Scotland and Wales. Northern Ireland said it was considering a ban.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30513439
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks to 4me2

jw_2000_uk (17th December 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Car smoke ban 'to start in October'

This is virtually unenforceable, yet another Tory gimmick
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

4me2 (18th December 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    This is virtually unenforceable, yet another Tory gimmick
    with the tax disc gone and camera's now now checking they may tie it in and auto issue the fine.

another cash cow in the making.

but lets not forget you can wait till you get home and fill the whole house with smoke, all the hours in the
    house is not going to be offset with a 10 min smoke free car ride.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wakadoo View Post
    but lets not forget you can wait till you get home and fill the whole house with smoke.
    Not sure how much longer that will be the case either.
    If you Google there are people winning cases against neighbours cos their second hand smoke is coming through their windows when they open them, even though the neighbour is in their own house (with windows open) or using the garden shed as a smoking hut.

Mental.
    Let's hope WW3 never breaks out cos this country is filled with 90% soft whinging pussies.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

this is a good start but will be just as enforceable as the mobile phone ban. The fine needs to be steeper as £50 will not deter people who do not care about the childs health.

In the home there is no way it will come into force as there is no way to enforce that what so ever.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks
    Karma Level

How can a £50 fine be a deterant let alone a cash cow ? Even if they caught someone which the chances would be very low the admin fees would outweigh the fine. The idiots have learned nothing from the mobile phone ban. The fines for both need to be £1000 at least to both make people think and make some money out of their wrong doings.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another step towards a controlled state...

Tinfoil hat crew who's with me!

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Anyone who smokes with a kid in their car is a cunt fullstop.

12 Thanks given to 4me2

Show/Hide list of the thanked

ant3b (18th December 2014),  blacksheep (18th December 2014),  dpSparhawk (18th December 2014),  greens117 (21st December 2014),  GTI (18th December 2014),  pattikins (18th December 2014),  piggzy (18th December 2014),  prezzy (18th December 2014),  Realist (19th December 2014),  Squizza (18th December 2014),  x_Mr_C_x (18th December 2014),  Zoots (18th December 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

As others have pointed out, you can smoke in your home.

This is obviously a cash cow, there are a lot of these at the moment. As much as I hate spitting some councils are fining people for doing so: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...e-9912228.html it is ridiculous to victimise people this way.

If they are that concerned about the lives of children breathing in second hand smoke, then go all in or nothing, ban smoking full stop. Do not piss about with stupid laws. What is next, no farting in cars?

Happy Christmas.

*Edit*

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Anyone who smokes with a kid in their car is a cunt fullstop.

This is very true. It is a problem that should not even exist.

Thanks to Squizza

piggzy (18th December 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

As stated if it was a cash cow then it wouldn't be £50 it would be at least 10 times that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hey,

However when people fail to pay the £50 fine and it goes to court resulting in a bigger fine, possible jail sentences (when they refuse to pay or turn up time and time again) etc.. then it becomes farcical.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Squizza View Post
    Hey,

However when people fail to pay the £50 fine and it goes to court resulting in a bigger fine, possible jail sentences (when they refuse to pay or turn up time and time again) etc.. then it becomes farcical.
    Doesnt always go that way - mate got done for no tax and not sorn (car was a write off anyway), ignored the letters, it got towed and crushed, ignored more letters, ended up in court and he didn't even attend - just sent a grovelling letter and was let off with a fine and costs of less than the original no tax charge.

Points is the only thing that works I think - same as for a phone, 3 points and £70 fine. It's not a cash cow its a deterrent then. But as you say above, doesn't stop them spending 5 hours in front of the telly with windows and doors shut chain smoking.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Most small fines that don't get paid and go to court often get thrown out anyway.

I don't think its a cash cow either really, but it will be another reason for you to be stopped and questioned. And like everything the police get handed, it's open to abuse.

People who smoke with kids in their car are cunts, but I think it's their right and more so their loss if they choose to do it.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Most small fines that don't get paid and go to court often get thrown out anyway.

I don't think its a cash cow either really, but it will be another reason for you to be stopped and questioned. And like everything the police get handed, it's open to abuse.

People who smoke with kids in their car are cunts, but I think it's their right and more so their loss if they choose to do it.

DJ OD
    Nah sorry mate in this day and age and what we know about smoking I don't think it is their right to abuse their kids health in this way. They should either put up or shut up though. A phased ban on the sale of tobacco products starting at 16....and increasing year on year so the current crop of kids will never be allowed to smoke. Not going to happen though - too much tax and brown envelopes involved.

2 Thanks given to DavidF

4me2 (18th December 2014),  Squizza (18th December 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Does this mean car manufactures will remove ashtrays from new cars ? ......... where the hell am I going to keep my spare change!!!!!!

Thanks to Rhinoz

diablos (18th December 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't really give a fuck about people smoking in cars so long as they are in there by themselves or any other occupants are smokers. If you smoke in a car with a child you're a weapons grade cunt and deserve a kick to the kerb.

My biggest beef is the cunts on mobile phones to their ears and even worse, texting whilst driving.... and don't even get me started on all the fuckin cunts at traffic lights /stationary traffic, head down in their phone texting or on facebook.... lights go green, their brake lights stay on...I get stuck at the SAME light on Red. Oh might I add, the cunts that have their heads buried in their phone at the lights or stationary traffic are almost always female.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Some asshole's in some government department:

Right how will we scam the public this time? erm I know, I'll tell them what they already know, don't smoke in your car when a child is present, erm but they already know that.

We know, but as they are total fn morons we'll also take money from them if some fn retard is actually stupid enough to do it, erm but it sounds like a scam, no, their just to fn stupid to actually do something about it, ah I see, ok lets just keep robbing them then, gis a buzz next week and we'll make some other bullshit up so we can steal even more from them.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    What about the childs rights? does the parents rights to smoke in the car out weigh the childs rights to avoiding second hand smoke? forcing someone to breath in second hand smoke should be classed as assault.
    If someone forced you to take arsenic would you say that was their right to do so?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lfc4ever View Post
    Some asshole's in some government department:

Right how will we scam the public this time? erm I know, I'll tell them what they already know, don't smoke in your car when a child is present, erm but they already know that.

We know, but as they are total fn morons we'll also take money from them if some fn retard is actually stupid enough to do it, erm but it sounds like a scam, no, their just to fn stupid to actually do something about it, ah I see, ok lets just keep robbing them then, gis a buzz next week and we'll make some other bullshit up so we can steal even more from them.

dont understand where the idea of it being a cash cow or a scam comes from.

lets just have a look at a break down of where that money would go. someones wage , costs of sending letters dealing with appeals and non paying. and that doesnt include the cost to the NHS to deal with illness from the second hand smoke. that £50 and more would soon get eaten up.

They should make it a cash cow and

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I never had this problem when I was a kid. I was hardly ever in the car.
    My parents made me walk everywhere. Now there's a thought!!

As far as I'm concerned, this 'problem' has only really come to light in the past decade and the nanny state along with health & safety is going way to far with it.

Even if my parents did smoke in the car. Never did me any harm!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast