Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 2 Modems on one Network. Possible?

I have been asked to set this up in a small office, but I'm not sure how to do it, or even if it is possible.

At the moment there are 3 Wired Computers with IP Addresses assigned 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.4 and 5 Wireless Laptops assigned 192.168.0.5 to 192.168.0.9.

Modem/Router is setup at 192.168.0.1 and they are all using this as the gateway.
    All run through a 50MB DSL connection.

This apparently is not enough. So they are considering getting a second subscription for another 50MB.

How would I go about adding a second gateway into this? Perhaps just taking the load from the Wireless devices.

I can setup 2 networks, no problem. But they would still need access to each other via LAN.

A switch has been mentioned, but I have never setup a switch and would like to know what it does. My Googling is not really up to speed and I keep coming up with the same answer - No.

Bending my head round this the last couple of days has given me headache and could do with some advice.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 2 Modems on one Network. Possible?

A sonicwall TZ210 allows you to load share multiple connections and also has a few other nice features, I am sure the products from fortinet and the others who do similar boxes will do the same.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

i know that you can have dreytek routers that can do it they do adsl cable and usb dongles all at one time just find the right one and your off

Thanks
    Karma Level

You could set up a pfsense box. I know you can use them for load balancing but I've not messed around with this. Just this week I replaced a draytek 2950 we used for vpn and it's only been a few days but I reckon the pfsense box pisses all over the draytek.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Strange as this may sound. No Switch was required.

I just simply told the laptops to use the new Gateway (192.168.0.10) and joined the 2 modems together with an RJ45.

They use 2 different online IP addresses obviously, but ALL computers are on the same subnet so can access each others files.

Jobs a goodun!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    Strange as this may sound. No Switch was required.

I just simply told the laptops to use the new Gateway (192.168.0.10) and joined the 2 modems together with an RJ45.

They use 2 different online IP addresses obviously, but ALL computers are on the same subnet so can access each others files.

Jobs a goodun!
    how do you mean you joined them with an RJ45? a splitter / joiner etc?

just wondering as i was told you should always use a switch / router to avoid traffic collisions etc with the data

just wondered
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

have you seen 100mbit will be £12k a year

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

How did you bind the two connections? what application?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

2 Routers... Netgear

Router 1
    Gateway = 192.168.0.1
    IP Range = 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.9
    DCHP ON - Wireless ON
    Wireless machines DHCP enabled (for access on Wireless elsewhere)
    192.168.0.10 is Reserved for the MAC address of the other Router.

Router 2
    Gateway = 192.168.0.10
    IP Range = 192.168.0.11 - 192.168.0.20
    DCHP off - Wireless Off
    IP Address's on wired computers are Static, specifying which Gateway to use - they dont go anywhere.

Both routers are joined on Port 4 with a Patch Cat5 RJ45.

All systems are showing and available on the network. All machines report a 50MB connection to the internet. (2 at once on different routers can get the same speed).

Can or will this cause issues?
    So far, no problems. When you mention traffic collisions - What does that mean?
    Everything downloaded so far has been valid... emails, files, etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    Router 2
    Gateway = 192.168.0.10
    IP Range = 192.168.0.11 - 192.168.0.20
    DCHP off - Wireless Off
    What do you mean by ip range as dhcp is turned off?

I'm thinking in your setup, you could utilise the two lines, but to do so you would have to manually specify which default gateway each pc/device will be using. For accessing pc/servers/devices on the same subnet, they will talk straight to each other (providing you are using 255.255.255.0 subnet mask /24 on pc's/devices), only for accessing any subnet apart from your lan will the pc go through the router you specified manually.

This has the advantage of being able to dedicate one link to say one team or group and the other to others - I'm guessing but not certain in your setup you have one link for the wifi users and one for hard wired - if you wish to keep things this way then there's nothing wrong with the setup, but the reason I proposed a pfsense box is because you can have the one router handling 2 lines so all client pc's have same default gateway setting which you can set via dhcp again now, and you can get the pfsense box to either load balance traffic between the two lines or automatically failover in the event of one going down.

Also doubt you would get collisions plugging a router into another router, you effectively have two products bundled in one casing - a router and a switch, I fail to see the benefit of adding another switch into the equation.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    What do you mean by ip range as dhcp is turned off?

My bad. Your right DCHP is setup on both. But the ranges are set in order to stop conflicts.
    So far so good, everything's working hunky dory so think I'll leave it as is.

I've seen requests before about joining 2 Routers together and never thought it was possible as most guides suggest using a LAN switch.

BUT - Looks like I proved them wrong! I feel real clever now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have you checked that you aren't getting dhcp conflicts - I've had a couple of instances where other contractors have plugged their router to our network and when we end up with two dhcp servers, we would end up not knowing which one the client pc's would get their settings from leading to all sorts of great fun.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Theres bound to be conflicts on that setup lol..surprised you haven't had any loop backs.

You would have been better off with a switch and separate vlans etc..but if you've got no slowdown on your network or anything then dont bother!

Thanks
    Karma Level

All you are doing with that setup is pot luck, some devices will be on one default gateway, and some will be on the other, there is no load balancing or anything useful, you are simply using 2 connections and probably not very well. You may find there are a higher number on one than the other. Some PCs will be pointing to one default gateway and some to the other. Not really ideal, and surprised you dont have some sort of ARP loop at the very least.

Thanks
    Karma Level

That looks ok. If you check back in the cable modem section I tied 3 modems together with a pfsense box with load balancing, bells and whistles on, but far more tricky to get perfect!

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you don't want load balancing you are spot on, network guys always dislike excessively simple solutions as it threatens their high salaries.

All this talk of collisions and other bollocks is just people using buzzwords. Domestic routers contain switches for all the ports on them (usually 4 ports), so everything will be on a separate segment anyway. You've effectively attached two switches together with an uplink cable and attached loads of computers to it, all of which are on the same subnet and so will make a lovely textbook LAN. Really couldn't be a simpler LAN (unless you only had one switch of course).

The default gateway is only used for getting out of that subnet, you could have every PC on a different default gateway if you wanted to. Won't make any difference to how reliable it is or create collisions as long as the default gateway knows how to route the traffic.

You won't get DHCP clashes as you only have one DHCP server from disabling on one router.

Lack of load balancing could be an issue though, if by chance you get one router very busy and one router doing fuck all you'll be back where you started. Manually swapping default gateways to move people between routers is hardly perfect either. If you're happy with it as it is though, I'd say a good job even if you did stumble upon it by sheer luck
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers TwoPlanks,

That clears up a lot. Simply put, I've done it right and if they dont give a toss about load balancing (they dont), it's all hunky dorey!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Whatever the client wants and is happy with dejavu

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Some people have spouted some shit in here, I suggest you re-read the Set-up.
    There is only one DHCP server on the network so there should be no conflicts.

But the question has to be asked what is the point?
    You have PC's going via one router and laptops via the other?

I'd have gone for a Smoothwall setup with proper load balancing myself, but hey if the customers happy.....
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you read post 11, Deja Vu says both routers are running dhcp (don't know why he added that bit into my quote).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast