Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Three inTouch - Calls (and texts) to & from your three phone over wifi

I've not heard about this app until today. The reason for me calling Three technical support was to blag a 3 Home Signal which is a device that connects a Three phone to their network using broadband.

Anyway, Three inTouch is their app for connecting iPhones (not 4) and Android phones to their network over wifi. This is really useful if you live in a house with a low mobile signal (or no signal) and sometimes miss calls.

It's easy to set up. Download & install it, then disable wifi and open the application. Accept the terms & conditions and then click activate. Job done. on iPhone disable mobile data when in the house, then enable it when leaving.

I can't test the app because I get a decent signal at home, but family and friends live in marginal areas. In particular I recommended three to my parents because of the excellent 321 pay as you go service, but their signal isn't really reliable enough due to the transmitter location.

Obviously more or less everyone reading this on here will already use apps for messaging like whatsapp, but this Three inTouch is going to be great for receiving and making calls.

Here's some info: http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Three_inTouch?site=d

Cheers
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

4 Thanks given to beansontoast

Ashley (13th August 2014),  blaggard (13th August 2014),  Over Carl (13th August 2014),  Rhinoz (14th August 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Three inTouch - Calls (and texts) to & from your three phone over wifi

Not compatible with Rooted Devices.

--edit
    Xposed Module Rootcloak gets it working
    Last edited by DejaVu; 13th August 2014 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Three inTouch - Calls (and texts) to & from your three phone over wifi

does anyone know if ee do anything like this as this would be ideal for me if they did as they dont do the home signals i aint bothered about the 4g just need a signal for texts and calls

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I got in the testing group a few months ago. Been using it for ages with free calls but they stopped when the app was released on the app store. Now the calls come out of my monthly allowance.

Works well although I wish the app didn't always show in the notifications. Another annoyance is if I'm calling on wifi and I lose the wifi signal it drops the call. There is no seemless handover to the mobile network.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    I got in the testing group a few months ago. Been using it for ages with free calls but they stopped when the app was released on the app store. Now the calls come out of my monthly allowance.

Works well although I wish the app didn't always show in the notifications. Another annoyance is if I'm calling on wifi and I lose the wifi signal it drops the call. There is no seemless handover to the mobile network.
    I thought the idea of the app was to use it when you had no mobile signal?

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is interesting if can be used when abroad and then pay UK rate for calls.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure how they'd know, perhaps Roaming, Geolocation or WPS (Wifi Positioning System), but currently Three InTouch will not work abroad (yet). But I'm sure once it will, we'll be charged accordingly.

Three's 'Feel At home' is very good already anyway (Limited countries).

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ss30 View Post
    I thought the idea of the app was to use it when you had no mobile signal?
    Some buildings I work in get very little/no signal. Outside is fine. Apparently the EE app will be working this way once released.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i am the same beerman put it at the window full signal away from the window no signal on ee i hope they release it soon as it sounds great

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That you for posting I downloaded it from AppStore, it wouldn't work originally with a jailbroke device bit after installing xcon from cydia, it works flawlessly.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Works well although I wish the app didn't always show in the notifications. Another annoyance is if I'm calling on wifi and I lose the wifi signal it drops the call. There is no seamless handover to the mobile network.
    Iirc, devices using UMA will seamlessly handover and don't need extra apps to be installed.

I remember using a few different Blackberries on Orange which both supported it. The strange thing was that we had to specify we wanted phones with UMA, otherwise we would randomly receive some phones that had it and some without. We had been told there was no way to convert a non UMA phone to a UMA one but I never really looked into that.

Orange had told us it would only work with certain routers and internet connections provided by them but this didn't seem to be true.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm on three & my home signal is not that good I'm gonna try this out, thanks for the info.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue924 View Post
    does anyone know if ee do anything like this as this would be ideal for me if they did as they dont do the home signals i aint bothered about the 4g just need a signal for texts and calls
    EE are rolling it out before the end of this year.. they are trialing at the moment. Remember any minutes you use on this come of your allowance if you're not on unlimited.
    I am waiting on bated breath myself as my mobile has very limited signal indoors ... I was with EE before I moved here and still in contract till May 15.

supe
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2920820230.png

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That app worked for me but not very well, however the Hardware Solution (Home Signal, a rebadged NEC Femtocell I believe) is working a treat, they sent it to me even though there is a Network issue which will be resolved.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

4me2 (11th October 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

EE do one if those too but wouldn't progress my fault of low signal strength until I put the original phone supplied with the contract back in service to test it!.. difficult as mine was sold lol
    Apparently they too won't supply one unless they have confirmed signal strength is too low

supe

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Three are much easier to deal with, they do tests but ultimately seem to give way in most cases. . . . after all if you say you have shite signal who are they to argue?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by supraman54 View Post
    EE are rolling it out before the end of this year.. they are trialing at the moment. Remember any minutes you use on this come of your allowance if you're not on unlimited.
    I am waiting on bated breath myself as my mobile has very limited signal indoors ... I was with EE before I moved here and still in contract till May 15.

supe
    I can't wait for them to roll this out. I don't get any signal at all downstairs in my house, which has become a bit of a problem now I'm self employed. Missing calls left, right and centre.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by supraman54 View Post
    EE do one if those too but wouldn't progress my fault of low signal strength until I put the original phone supplied with the contract back in service to test it!.. difficult as mine was sold lol
    Apparently they too won't supply one unless they have confirmed signal strength is too low

supe
    Three were quite aware that the phone was not the one supplied but didn't seem to care. . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Typical.. anyway once out of contract it's 3 for me.. no brainer for the data allowance alone..

supe

Thanks to supraman54

blaggard (28th September 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive found the app to be crap for me.

It has to be running and doesnt auto run in the background so if i restart the phone i have to remember to start it up again (no biggie) I also get a good signal most of the time at home. sometimes drops when the local mast is playing up. does that a lot that mast.
    If its running and a call comes through the phone is usually locked so i have to unlock it then open the app then i can answer. missed a lot of calls because of the time it can take to do this. especially if the touch id on my 5s decides to play up.
    Also if its running and in a authorised wifi area then it will come over wifi and not the mobile network even if i have a strong signal which makes my last problem more often.
    Dont even bother running it anymore.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast