Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Broken lens - Arse.

Got a call from Sigma yesterday that I was dreading, my beloved 28-70mm f/2.8 can not be fixed.
    They have had two new circuit boards sent over from Japan but to no avail the focusing is still soft and short of replacing everything in inside the thing it is now just a fancy paper weight.

So am in the market for a new "everyday lens" something in the 24 to 100 region of focal length and no higher f/4 through out.

They did offer me a few different lens to replace mine but just not happy going back to a Sigma now after the hassle I have had with them, I know it's probably a one off, but once bitten and all that jazz.

So has anyone any sensible ideas for a replacement everyday lens. I have a few in mind but am open to suggestions on others. My list so far is:-

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens

Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM lens

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens

I have discounted any sigma lens as the filter size is wrong for my huge collection of 77mm filters!!
    I think I want the 24-105mm f/4L lens but it's a real toss up between that and the 28-70mm one.

Aghhhhhhhhhh...........
    My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.
    My Websites - My Flickr :: My Blog :: My Site

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Broken lens - Arse.

Well I can ceratinly recommend the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens, although I haven't had much time of late to do much with it. But what I have shot with it I am more than happy with. I considered the 24-105mm but wanted as fast a lens as possible.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got the 24-105 and with IS is great to hand hold indoors with no flash. A lovely piece of glass and doesn't look too dissimilar to my 17-40 which means I got away with the purchase.

exif -

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
    Exposure: 0.067 sec (1/15)
    Aperture: f/4
    Focal Length: 67 mm
    ISO Speed: 320
    Exposure Bias: 0 EV
    Flash: Flash did not fire

Bits per Sample: 16, 16, 16
    Compression: Adobe Deflate
    Photometric Interpretation: 2
    Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
    Samples per Pixel: 3
    X-Resolution: 300 dpi
    Y-Resolution: 300 dpi
    Planar Configuration: 1
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
    Date and Time: 2008:10:29 22:45:59
    Last edited by BertRoot; 13th December 2008 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You see you both have one of the lens that's on my short list and neither of you have put a convincing argument for me not to get that lens.
    I am still not sure which to go for. I like the focal length of 24-105 and the IS is good but f/4 is the only down side and from reviews I have read it suffers from a little barrel distortion and is not as sharp as the 24-70mm. However the 24-70 is what I have been used too focal length wise and it is f/2.8 but reading reviews I hear it is nick named the brick due to it's size and being so heavy, but is slightly sharper and suffers less distortion.
    What I have decided to do is rent the 24-70mm for 2 weeks over christmas and and give it a good testing, I have used the 24-105mm before and know what that is like. So should have a good real time comparison to use.
    My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by [wingnut] View Post
    You see you both have one of the lens that's on my short list and neither of you have put a convincing argument for me not to get that lens.
    I am still not sure which to go for. I like the focal length of 24-105 and the IS is good but f/4 is the only down side and from reviews I have read it suffers from a little barrel distortion and is not as sharp as the 24-70mm. However the 24-70 is what I have been used too focal length wise and it is f/2.8 but reading reviews I hear it is nick named the brick due to it's size and being so heavy, but is slightly sharper and suffers less distortion.
    What I have decided to do is rent the 24-70mm for 2 weeks over christmas and and give it a good testing, I have used the 24-105mm before and know what that is like. So should have a good real time comparison to use.
    I can confirm the 24-70mm is heavy, I was surprised how much heavier it was than my other lenses. Having said that I soon got used to the feel and now it just feels normal as it's on the camera 90% of the time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My 24-105 is a sharp beast. Have a look at my Flickr. All the ones from the above party were taken with it and am very happy with it throughout the aperture range. It is a few ounces lighter than the 2.8 and if I was rich enough I would have both as they do have very different applications. I wouldn't want to use the 24-70 as a walkaround and the extra 35 mm of zoom over my Sigma 24-70 is a massive bonus as is IS for a shaky old cunt like me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Now you see that's my dilemma, most of my shooting next year will be weddings and portraits, so having the IS for low light would be advantageous, but I really wanted f/2.8.. Oh I don't know.

I wouldn't want to use the 24-70 as a walkaround
    Any reason why not??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by [wingnut] View Post
    Any reason why not??
    Because I have had a 24-70 and found the reach wasn't enough for a walkaround. The weight is also greater but I am sure I would get used to the balance if I had a grip but at this time I haven't.

The other thing you said about weddings turns that all on its head. If you are an official tog then you would be able to get close enough for the 24-70 range and f/2.8 would be perfect so the 24-70 would be your only buy. Job done!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good wedding lens is the 70-200 ,generally have two cameras primed ,one with the 70-200 (D3),and one with the 24-70 (D700).I prefer the 70-200 for walkabout simply because of the focal length given ,you are able to take candids ,as well as portraits without too much hassle ,and the ability of close-ups without a lot of movement .Also if you are thinking of doing it regularly might be a good idea to invest in some lastolite easybox hotshoes (very versatile pieces of kit) .I wouldnt be without any of the two lenses mentioned
    Signature Removed: Maximum signature image size is: 468 x 60

Thanks
    Karma Level

Matt... I'll give you a definitive. I've owned both lenses, and the 24-105 won in every dept. The only benefit you'll get with the 24-70 is if you're going to shoot low light normal sports or anytime motorsport. Otherwise the IS is more than compensation for the aperture difference. Since almost all sports I've shot is through the day, and for motorsport you'll be using a bigger zoom, that benefit is pretty moot.

The 24-105 was as sharp, if not sharper that the 24-70 (in fact I'd go as far as saying it's the sharpest non-prime either myself or my brother have ever shot with, and he was a professional fashion photographer for a while). The weight difference was key, as I found the 24-70 way too heavy for a walkabout lens on a 40D body with battery grip and flash, mind it was fine in the studio.

For your situation, I'd not hesitate in recommending you go for the 24-105. I use it over a prime lens for kid studio shoots now to give me the extra flexibility while they scoot around the place. The versatility is a huge asset. Wedding shoots will benefit from the extra reach and slightly more width on the other end.

IMO, there is no contest, and that comes from experience with both. Saying that, I don't think you will be disappointed with either, they are both excellent lenses in their own right.
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers Neo, just the end user feedback I was looking for, not saying that Czar's or Bert's wasn't (Thanks anyway though guys), but the way you explained put it's use in context. If that makes sense. Been thinking about it all day today and came to conclusion that the 24-105 is the one for me, it's the weight factor more than the f/2.8 that won me over, with a 40d, battery grip and sigma flash gun coupled with my sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 plus second camera (Funds permitting 5d mkII in the new year) with flash and lens to carry plus bag of other goodies, a lighter weight lens will be helpful.

Think that settles it then, a shiny new piece of 24-105 L glass will be mine in the new year. Have to keep an eye on the sales now..

Thanks
    Karma Level

My pleasure mate... You wont be disappointed....
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."